Photo: Troldtekt® akustik
Construction has long been recognised as one of the most resource-hungry and therefore least sustainable industries in the world. Despite increasing awareness of the need to develop a more sustainable approach within the construction industry, this proved difficult without a reliable method of evaluating and comparing the environmental impacts of different constructions and materials.
The Building Industry accounts for 40% Co2 emissions and waste worldwide. In addition to non-renewable resources, mining, deforestation, pollution, toxic chemicals of producing building materials. To tackle these issues in a lifespan of materials, there are several tools and initatives worldwide.
Your knowledge and demand of ecofriendlier materials verified by third pary is essential to improve the industry and hereby is a short list of eco-documentation as an introduction.
Benefits of eco-certified building materials
- Better health and indoor climate
- Controlled by competent 3.party
3 principles of Climate Neutral Buildings by Bjorn Berge
- Choose Low Impact Materials and Construction
- Reduce Operational Energy
- Maximize Storage of Carbon
Eco-Building tools Worldwide
Gaia (Holistic Ecological View)
Breeam (Holistic Point based system and different levels – design and documents verified by auditor)
LEED (Holistic point based system and different levels)
DGNB (Holistic point based system and different levels)
ZEB (Zero Emission Building – Norwegian Research Centre)
“From the extraction of the raw materials, to production, packaging and transport, right through to your use and then your recycling bin. EU-Ecolabel life cycle approach guarantees that the products’ main environmental impacts are reduced in comparison to similar products on the market.”
Environmental impact in a lifecycle of materials
- Raw materials: Mining – Deforestation – Soil erotion – Non-renewable resources – Biodiversity – Pollution – Water Resource Depletion
- Production: Energy and pollution
- Transport: Energy and pollution
- Construction: Pollution and waste
- In use: Smart design – pollution – durability
- Waste: Design for demolition – reuse – recycle – pollution
Eu-Ecolabelling / Swanmark
LCA / EPD -Environmental Product Description
We publish ESG solutions with reputable documentation.